Surveys show that between 45 percent of dogs are overweight, because of the unhealthy diet and lack of exercise. Overweight dogs are more likely to develop diabetes.
If your dogs suffered from diabetes, you needed to concern about the effect of food on blood sugar. Sweet potatoes release sugars gradually into the bloodstream, and manage the glycemic index of diabetics just like pancreas. On the other hand, sweet potatoes contain estrogen named adiponectin which can control dog’s insulin metabolism.
Let me tell you how to do the sweet potato treats for the dog with diabetes.
What you’ll need:
1 large sweet potato
1/2 sugar-free applesauce
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup plain rolled oats
1. Clean the sweet potato thoroughly and peel it.
2. Punched holes all over the sweet potato with a fork.
3. Place the sweet potato in microwave-safe containers and microwave it until begin to soften. If you are not sure the microwave heating time, you could heat it for several times to make it soft.
4. Let the sweet potato cool until you can touch it, place it in a medium bowl.
5. Mix in the eggs and applesauce and sweet potato.
6. Whisk together the cinnamon, ginger, flour and oats in a large bowl.
7. Make a well in the dry mixture and pour in the sweet potato mixture.
8. Stir together until just combined.
9. Preheat oven to 325°F.
10. Generously spray your mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
11. Place the mixture into the mini muffin pan.
12. Bake about 25 minutes.
13. Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack, release it from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
The sweet potato dog treats will keep for one week in the refrigerator.
Dogs will love this sweet potato treat. Do remember to tell us how your dogs like this sweet potato treat.